Table of Contents
What is biohacking?
Biohacking is a term used to describe an individual's efforts to optimize their physiological and mental performance through the use of practical DIY techniques, often involving modifications to diet, lifestyle and/or fitness regimens. These techniques utilize advances in biotechnology such as genetic engineering, synthetic biology, and mind-body practices.
To learn the basics of biohacking, I recommend watching Netflix's Unnatural Selection series. You will gain insight into the biohacking scene, but also into the practical questions and moral and religious positions. Some biohackers believe that all genetic diseases should be eradicated. They suggest that genetic engineering can be used to solve problems in the world, such as malaria mosquitoes and rat plagues. Biohackers believe that the technique of genetic modification should be accessible to everyone, not just a select group of people. We must take genetic modification seriously; it is not a toy to play with, but a powerful tool that we must use wisely. In this way we can improve our lives, help those in need and even save our planet.
- The Odin - An online store with kits and tools that allow anyone to learn biohacking;
- ODIN Tutorials - Useful information about biohacking;
- Protocols.io - An open-access platform for researchers to co-create dynamic protocols;
- Genetic Biohacking Facebook Group - A biohacking community;
- David Ishee @ Odysee - Video tutorials from a dog breeder and biohacker;
- David Ishee @ Patreon - Support David Ishee (biohacker/dog breeder);
- Jo Zayner @ Patreon - Support Jo Zayner (The Odin);
- Yanelab @ Patreon - Support Yanelab;
- DiyBio Local - A list of DIY biotech sites worldwide by city;
YouTube Channels Links
Links to DNA databases
- Human Genome Project - An international scientific research project to identify and map all human genes;
Compare DNA sequence links
Links to DNA editing software
- ClustalW - Multiple alignment of nucleic acid and protein sequences;
- MEGA - A tool for aligning sequences, inferring phylogenetic trees, mining web-based databases, estimating the rate of molecular evolution, and testing evolutionary hypotheses;
- Geneious - Molecular biology and sequence analysis software;